I recently attended a yoga class and retained a few excellent ideas on how to manage wellness, stress levels, and overall health and attitude during the holidays. The holiday season is one I sometimes call the Silly Season, as the stress of this time of year can take quite a toll on you and your health.
I have compiled a few topics and situations that you might encounter or experience during this time of year and discuss each on how you can manage through them and be successful!
- Learn to say no. If you have children and care for loved ones at home and were asked to participate in a program or event. Don’t be afraid to say no, and not feel guilty. “You” take priority and so does your well-being.
- Take a time out. If you have family and friends visiting for the holidays, you can discretely go into another room, close the door, and do deep breathing. You can also straight standing stance, and very slowly lift your arms in front of you and all the way up above your head, then bring them slowly down. Then repeat. Breathe.
- Keep your focus on the fun, not the food! Create decorations together, trim the tree, sing carols, and talk about the memories of past holidays and laugh!
- Modify your eating times to match a little more with the relatives (if they came from different time zones). You might need to have a healthy fruit snack or nuts to help your blood sugar stay level until mealtime.
- Try your best, to stick with your daily routine.
- Be flexible as well.
- Don’t have expectations. Keep an open mind, and sort of roll with the punches and stay positive.
There are many other things you can do to help you successfully make it through the holiday season, and remain happy and healthy! Here are a few great resources to read for more information about maintaining wellness during the holidays.